▶ Dangerous GU10 LED Spot Light is Cheap and Bright but could Kill You – Seriously – YouTube


This GU10 LED spot light is cheap (£3 including postage) and bright. But it’s also lethal! There’s a 50% chance of putting live mains within a few microns of the metal casing (which is what you’ll be holding when you insert it) and there’s no earth to protect you. It’s like playing Russian Roulette with 240v AC mains. This sort of thing gives new technology a bad name. Avoid it if you want to stay alive.

via ▶ Dangerous GU10 LED Spot Light is Cheap and Bright but could Kill You – Seriously – YouTube.

Recall: Toshiba Australia Pty Ltd—AC Personal Computer Power Cords


Product description “LS-15” labelled AC Power cord sold with PC computers between September 2010 and June 2012

Identifying features “LS-15” moulded marking on appliance connector together with Product code/serial number combination

What are the defects? In some instances the “LS-15” labelled connector’s electrical insulation may degrade over time with the potential to overheat and burn.

What are the hazards? AC Power cord may overheat and potentially cause a burn hazard.

via Toshiba Australia Pty Ltd—AC Personal Computer Power Cords.

Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution


Authorities are warning consumers against buying rip-off USB-style chargers after a young woman wearing headphones and holding her laptop was found dead with burns on her ears and chest, in an apparent electrocution.

The woman’s death is under investigation by police, and Fair Trading was unable to release any further details….

she was found with a lap top and headphones in her ears.”[She had] burns on both ears and her chest,”…

the rip-off, cheap chargers were low quality plastic that could melt.

The devices found by Fair Trading had no insulation on (mains) pins or approval marks.

 

Consumers who have already bought unapproved and non-compliant USB-style chargers, used to charge phones and tablets, are advised to bend the pins on the chargers and throw them away immediately.

 

People should also not use any electrical devices while they are plugged in and charging.

via Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution.

Safety observers for electrical work (Qld DoJ and AG)


The requirements for assessing the competence of electrical work safety observers to rescue and resuscitate a person changed on 1 January 2014.

The person acting as a safety observer for electrical work must be competent to implement control measures in an emergency and be competent to rescue and resuscitate the worker who is carrying out the electrical work. As well, they must have been assessed as competent to rescue and resuscitate a person in the past year (previously six months). This also means that if a person undertakes rescue and resuscitation training and is assessed as competent, they can act as a safety observer for one year without further assessment of their competence.

via Safety observers for electrical work – Department of Justice and Attorney-General.

%d bloggers like this: