Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution


Authorities are warning consumers against buying rip-off USB-style chargers after a young woman wearing headphones and holding her laptop was found dead with burns on her ears and chest, in an apparent electrocution.

The woman’s death is under investigation by police, and Fair Trading was unable to release any further details….

she was found with a lap top and headphones in her ears.”[She had] burns on both ears and her chest,”…

the rip-off, cheap chargers were low quality plastic that could melt.

The devices found by Fair Trading had no insulation on (mains) pins or approval marks.

 

Consumers who have already bought unapproved and non-compliant USB-style chargers, used to charge phones and tablets, are advised to bend the pins on the chargers and throw them away immediately.

 

People should also not use any electrical devices while they are plugged in and charging.

via Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution.

%d bloggers like this: