All suppliers and manufacturers of electrical products in New Zealand have to ensure those products are safe. This includes meeting essential standards, showing regulatory compliance marks, and conforming to other regulations.
Consumers are set to benefit from improved safety standards in the gas and electrical goods industry when amended regulations commence on 1 September 2018.
The Act will provide multiple benefits, including:
- Implementing a consistent compliance and enforcement regime for both gas and electricity energy sources;
- Authorising NSW Fair Trading officers to seize or remove any unsafe gas appliance where an offence has been committed or the appliance is unsafe;
- Aligning the maximum penalties for offences relating to gas safety with those relating to electricity safety; and, most importantly,
- Addressing deficiencies in the current gas consumer safety provisions to better provide consumers and the NSW public.
“The guide provides minimum electrical safety criteria that could be applied to lithium-based battery energy storage equipment and is the result of extensive collaboration from system manufacturers, certifiers, safety regulators and industry bodies around Australia.”
“The Guide is voluntary for use by anyone in the supply chain of battery storage equipment. It is not referred to in any legislation as a mandatory requirement however, both electrical safety legislation and Australian Consumer Law requires electrical equipment to be safe and fit for purpose.”
IEC 62368-1 ED3: Audio/video, information and communication technology equipment – Part 1: Safety requirements has now been approved in the voting results as an international standard according to http://www.iec.ch/dyn/www/f?p=103:52:0::::FSP_ORG_ID,FSP_DOC_ID,FSP_DOC_PIECE_ID:1311,1011222,319501
Twenty six P-Members voted, and 100% of those were in favour, with no negative votes recorded. For those who have TC 108 sign-in credentials, the compilation of comments document can also be downloaded from the above link.
“In January 2018, in cooperation with various government regulatory agencies, HP announced a worldwide voluntary safety recall and replacement program for certain notebook computer and mobile workstation batteries. These batteries have the potential to overheat, posing a fire and burn hazard to customers. For this reason, it is extremely important to check whether your battery is affected.”
“HP has received eight reports of battery packs overheating, melting, or charring, including three reports of property damage totaling $4,500, with one report of a minor injury involving a first-degree burn to the hand,” CSPC said in a statement
What are the hazards?
Small parts, including the battery can be exposed if the back is removed. If young children gain access to the button batteries and ingest them, they may suffer internal burn injuries, which can result in serious illness and even death. In addition, the batteries may pose a choking hazard to young children.
What are the defects?
The phone case contains white spirit (turpentine). If the plastic phone case is cracked or broken the fluid contained in the case can leak out.
What are the hazards?
In some individuals, contact with the fluid from the phone case may cause skin irritation (redness, soreness and rashes). Prolonged exposure can cause chemical burns.
Interview podcast and transcript with Professor David Schwebel of the University of Alabama on product injury prevention through predicting child behaviour.
“Children naturally learn about the world by trying things and therefore we have to assume that our products will be tried and explored and sometimes used improperly.”
“Fidget Spinners help people channel their nervous energy into a toy conducive to one-hand fidgeting. Think of them as the modern equivalent of a stress ball. But a model … that features LED lights has been recalled for failing to conceal its button battery securely. Infants who swallow a button battery are exposed to serious health risks, warns Product Safety Australia.”
Fidget spinners probe launched in WA after reported eye injury, battery size concerns:
“An investigation has been launched …after an 11-year-old boy in Victoria reportedly suffered a serious eye injury from one of the models. A 10-year-old girl in the United States has also reportedly swallowed a small part of one of the models.”
Fidget spinners banned in schools after boy almost loses eye – Kidspot
“He threw the spinner up a little higher,” Molly said, “and he didn’t manage to catch the spinner but it came down and clipped the corner of his eye and crunch. He was very lucky not to lose his eyesight let alone his eyeball.”
Are Fidget Spinners Bad for You? Texas Girl Has Surgery After Swallowing Metal Toy Part
A young girl aged 10 in Houston was taken “to the emergency room after the girl swallowed part of her fidget spinner. (She) had put a metal piece of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it, and it went down her throat. (She was taken) to the Texas Childrens Hospital, where an X-ray revealed the part—called a bushing—was stuck in her esophagus. The girl had to have surgery to “endoscopically locate and remove the object,” which was about the size of a quarter…
Grandmother warns popular toy could be a choking hazard | WSB-TV
She had just bought her 3 year old grandson the Fidget Spinner, and he and his mother were riding with her in the car. “He was playing with it going down the road,” then the child’s mother noticed the spinner had come apart and the child had the parts in his hand, including a small battery that lights up.
Two-year old Jasmine died at the Emergency Department of Fremantle Hospital on 11 February 2013 due to an injury to her chest caused by a television set falling on her.
She had been known to climb the wooden cabinet in the family room of her home to get closer to the television set that was placed upon it. While the her mother was temporarily out of the room, the child climbed on top of the 65 cm high wooden cabinet and then fell backwards to the floor, with the 37 inch LED television set also falling and landing on top of her. As a result she sustained a fatal injury to her chest.
The television set had been purchased new from the store in 2010 when Jasmine was about three months old. It weighed 15.8 kilograms. The heaviest part was at the base, being the part that impacted upon Jasmine’s torso.
Jasmine weighed approximately 21 kilograms and was 80 centimetres in height. She would not have been able to reach and pull the television set down by standing next to the cabinet.
Her death was preventable, and the inquest focused on drawing the public’s attention to the potential risk posed to a young child of a television set becoming unstable and toppling over.
The State Coroner found that she died from a chest injury, and death occurred by way of accident. The State Coroner highlighted the dangers of not adequately securing television sets to a fixed point.
Full report PDF available from the Source: Inquest into the Death of Jasmine Lilian CAMMERILLI