Best Practice Guide: Battery Storage Equipment – Electrical Safety Requirements (Australia)


“The guide provides minimum electrical safety criteria that could be applied to lithium-based battery energy storage equipment and is the result of extensive collaboration from system manufacturers, certifiers, safety regulators and industry bodies around Australia.”

“The Guide is voluntary for use by anyone in the supply chain of battery storage equipment. It is not referred to in any legislation as a mandatory requirement however, both electrical safety legislation and Australian Consumer Law requires electrical equipment to be safe and fit for purpose.”

Source: http://www.batterysafetyguide.com.au/

HP Notebook and Mobile Workstation Battery Safety Recall (worldwide)


“In January 2018, in cooperation with various government regulatory agencies, HP announced a worldwide voluntary safety recall and replacement program for certain notebook computer and mobile workstation batteries. These batteries have the potential to overheat, posing a fire and burn hazard to customers. For this reason, it is extremely important to check whether your battery is affected.”

Source: https://batteryprogram687.ext.hp.com/en-GB/Home/ProgramSummary

“HP has received eight reports of battery packs overheating, melting, or charring, including three reports of property damage totaling $4,500, with one report of a minor injury involving a first-degree burn to the hand,” CSPC said in a statement

Source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/hp-laptop-battery-alert-were-recalling-these-models-due-to-overheating-fears/

 

Product safety recall: Marlee Watch Co — Children’s Timepiece Watches | Product Safety Australia


What are the defects?

The backing of the watch may detach if dropped.

What are the hazards?

Small parts, including the battery can be exposed if the back is removed. If young children gain access to the button batteries and ingest them, they may suffer internal burn injuries, which can result in serious illness and even death. In addition, the batteries may pose a choking hazard to young children.

 

Source: Marlee Watch Co — Children’s Timepiece Watches | Product Safety Australia

‘Electronic skin’ takes wearable health monitors to the next level: A soft, stick-on patch collects, analyzes and wirelessly transmits a variety of health metrics from the body to a smartphone — ScienceDaily


The electronic skin contains about 50 components connected by a network of 250 tiny wire coils embedded in protective silicone. The soft material enables it to conform to body, unlike other hard monitors. It wirelessly transmits data on movement and respiration, as well as electrical activity in the heart, muscles, eyes and brain to a smartphone application.

The entire system is powered wirelessly rather than being charged by a battery.

Source: ‘Electronic skin’ takes wearable health monitors to the next level: A soft, stick-on patch collects, analyzes and wirelessly transmits a variety of health metrics from the body to a smartphone — ScienceDaily

Fidget spinner recalled for failing the button battery test


“Fidget Spinners help people channel their nervous energy into a toy conducive to one-hand fidgeting. Think of them as the modern equivalent of a stress ball. But a model … that features LED lights has been recalled for failing to conceal its button battery securely. Infants who swallow a button battery are exposed to serious health risks, warns Product Safety Australia.”

Source: Fidget spinner recalled for failing the button battery test

RELATED ARTICLES:

Fidget spinners probe launched in WA after reported eye injury, battery size concerns:

“An investigation has been launched …after an 11-year-old boy in Victoria reportedly suffered a serious eye injury from one of the models. A 10-year-old girl in the United States has also reportedly swallowed a small part of one of the models.”

Source: “http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-19/fidget-spinners-probe-launched-in-wa/8540730

/assets/js/kidspot-ie8-1494562072.js

Fidget spinners banned in schools after boy almost loses eye – Kidspot

“He threw the spinner up a little higher,” Molly said, “and he didn’t manage to catch the spinner but it came down and clipped the corner of his eye and crunch. He was very lucky not to lose his eyesight let alone his eyeball.”

Source: http://www.kidspot.com.au/parenting/real-life/in-the-news/warnings-over-fidget-spinners-after-aussie-school-boy-nearly-loses-his-eye

Are Fidget Spinners Bad for You? Texas Girl Has Surgery After Swallowing Metal Toy Part

A young girl aged 10 in Houston was taken “to the emergency room after the girl swallowed part of her fidget spinner. (She) had put a metal piece of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it, and it went down her throat. (She was taken) to the Texas Childrens Hospital, where an X-ray revealed the part—called a bushing—was stuck in her esophagus. The girl had to have surgery to “endoscopically locate and remove the object,” which was about the size of a quarter…

Source: http://www.newsweek.com/fidget-spinners-injuries-kids-choking-611491

Grandmother warns popular toy could be a choking hazard | WSB-TV

She had just bought her 3 year old grandson the Fidget Spinner, and he and his mother were riding with her in the car. “He was playing with it going down the road,” then the child’s mother noticed the spinner had come apart and the child had the parts in his hand, including a small battery that lights up.

Source: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/grandmother-warns-popular-toy-could-be-a-choking-hazard/517930032

 

Woolworths Limited — Halloween Flashing Tumbler and Goblet (Australia)


Source: Woolworths Limited — Halloween Flashing Tumbler and Goblet

What are the defects?

The battery cover can be opened without the use of a tool. This could allow young children to access the button batteries inside.

What are the hazards?

Ingestion of button cell batteries by young children can cause internal burns which may lead to serious injury or death.

Samsung tested batteries in house, Note 7 banned from U.S. commercial aircraft – Evaluation Engineering


Samsung tested the batteries in its recalled Galaxy Note 7 using a CTIA-certified lab owned by the electronics giant, according to The Wall Street Journal… Lithium ion batteries for cellphones sold in the United States are tested in accordance with IEEE 1725 at […]

Eddie Forouzan, a member of the IEEE committee that developed the battery standard, (said) battery safety failure rates have dropped to parts per billion from the parts-per-million level that accompanied a flood of cheap batteries that proliferated in the early 2000s

A U.S. ban on carrying Note 7 cellphones on commercial aircraft either in cabin or in checked luggage (is in effect)

Source: Samsung tested batteries in house, Note 7 banned from U.S. commercial aircraft – Evaluation Engineering

%d bloggers like this: