Lead released when people fire weapons at shooting ranges creates such a health risk that lead bullets should be phased out, according to new research.
Two-year old Jasmine died at the Emergency Department of Fremantle Hospital on 11 February 2013 due to an injury to her chest caused by a television set falling on her.
She had been known to climb the wooden cabinet in the family room of her home to get closer to the television set that was placed upon it. While the her mother was temporarily out of the room, the child climbed on top of the 65 cm high wooden cabinet and then fell backwards to the floor, with the 37 inch LED television set also falling and landing on top of her. As a result she sustained a fatal injury to her chest.
The television set had been purchased new from the store in 2010 when Jasmine was about three months old. It weighed 15.8 kilograms. The heaviest part was at the base, being the part that impacted upon Jasmine’s torso.
Jasmine weighed approximately 21 kilograms and was 80 centimetres in height. She would not have been able to reach and pull the television set down by standing next to the cabinet.
Her death was preventable, and the inquest focused on drawing the public’s attention to the potential risk posed to a young child of a television set becoming unstable and toppling over.
The State Coroner found that she died from a chest injury, and death occurred by way of accident. The State Coroner highlighted the dangers of not adequately securing television sets to a fixed point.
Full report PDF available from the Source: Inquest into the Death of Jasmine Lilian CAMMERILLI
What are the defects?
The battery cover can be opened without the use of a tool. This could allow young children to access the button batteries inside.
What are the hazards?
Ingestion of button cell batteries by young children can cause internal burns which may lead to serious injury or death.
Samsung tested the batteries in its recalled Galaxy Note 7 using a CTIA-certified lab owned by the electronics giant, according to The Wall Street Journal… Lithium ion batteries for cellphones sold in the United States are tested in accordance with IEEE 1725 at […]
Eddie Forouzan, a member of the IEEE committee that developed the battery standard, (said) battery safety failure rates have dropped to parts per billion from the parts-per-million level that accompanied a flood of cheap batteries that proliferated in the early 2000s
A U.S. ban on carrying Note 7 cellphones on commercial aircraft either in cabin or in checked luggage (is in effect)
John Chuang and his colleagues at the University of California at Berkeley married … two avenues of work by developing a passthough [EEG] reader integrated into an everyday set of earbuds. Chuang presented the idea earlier this month at IEEE’s Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society conference in Orlando, Fla.
The rudimentary device was surprisingly accurate … the next logical step to making a practical, real-world device. “Clearly a lot more work needs to be done for this to be effective and useful in the real world,”
Much more at the Source: From Passwords to Passthoughts: Logging In to Your Devices With Your Mind – IEEE Spectrum
Shoppers who register new and old appliances with the relevant manufacturer will greatly reduce the risk of a fire in their home.
Thousands of consumers are missing out on product safety warnings because they are not registering their fridges, freezers, toasters and washing machines. “There are more than 100 million large appliances in use in our homes and we keep them a very long time, but less than half (47%) of consumers registered the last product they bought. Unlike cars, this leaves the vast majority untraceable if a safety action or product recall becomes necessary,”.
Manufacturers need to identify and contact owners swiftly to organise a repair. SFRS is urging consumers to register their new and used appliances by logging onto the Association of Manufacturers of Domestic Appliances (AMDEA) website – www.registermyappliance.org.uk – where they will find registration pages for 62 leading brands. The public should register all their appliances, including the older ones.
Product recall information can be found at http://www.registermyappliance.org.uk/products/recall-list/
A child dies from tipping furniture, appliances or TVs every two weeks. The statistics for tip-over incidents have grown over the last decade, yet there has been little reform to safety standards. [The] report, Furniture Stability: A review of data and testing … analyzed data of dresser and chest tip-overs and revealed testing results for 19 furniture units. Findings of the data analysis include:
- Two-year-olds are the age group most affected by tip-overs, and are most likely to be killed.
- Head injuries (37%) were the most common category of injury.
- Almost all (98.7%) of head injuries are related to a television tipping over on a child.
In cross-disciplinary research described in the journal Nature Nanotechnology, a team at IBM … has been able to … create a diagnostic device that can separate viruses, DNA, and other nanoscale-size biological targets from saliva or urine. This could enable the device to detect the presence of diseases before any physical symptoms are visible.
Imagine tiny wireless sensors the size of a grain of sand that can be implanted in the human body to monitor nerves, muscles and organs in real time. … engineers from the University of California, Berkeley recently created these batteryless sensors, opening the door to ‘electroceuticals’ — an emerging field in which these devices are used to treat disorders like epilepsy, stimulate the immune system or reduce inflammation by stimulating nerves and muscles.