A short book but I highly recommend it to electric safety experts. USA-centric, but the principles can be built on for other geographies.
What are the defects?
The phone case contains white spirit (turpentine). If the plastic phone case is cracked or broken the fluid contained in the case can leak out.
What are the hazards?
In some individuals, contact with the fluid from the phone case may cause skin irritation (redness, soreness and rashes). Prolonged exposure can cause chemical burns.
Interview podcast and transcript with Professor David Schwebel of the University of Alabama on product injury prevention through predicting child behaviour.
“Children naturally learn about the world by trying things and therefore we have to assume that our products will be tried and explored and sometimes used improperly.”
IBM’s Watson for Genomics took just 10 minutes to analyze a brain cancer patient’s genome and suggest a treatment plan, where human experts took 160 hours to make a comparable plan. IBM’s Watson cognitive computing platform, with its natural language processing abilities, was able to go through 23 million journal articles currently in medical literature, government listings of clinical trials, and other existing data sources without requiring someone to reformat the information and make it digestible.
“Fidget Spinners help people channel their nervous energy into a toy conducive to one-hand fidgeting. Think of them as the modern equivalent of a stress ball. But a model … that features LED lights has been recalled for failing to conceal its button battery securely. Infants who swallow a button battery are exposed to serious health risks, warns Product Safety Australia.”
Fidget spinners probe launched in WA after reported eye injury, battery size concerns:
“An investigation has been launched …after an 11-year-old boy in Victoria reportedly suffered a serious eye injury from one of the models. A 10-year-old girl in the United States has also reportedly swallowed a small part of one of the models.”
Fidget spinners banned in schools after boy almost loses eye – Kidspot
“He threw the spinner up a little higher,” Molly said, “and he didn’t manage to catch the spinner but it came down and clipped the corner of his eye and crunch. He was very lucky not to lose his eyesight let alone his eyeball.”
Are Fidget Spinners Bad for You? Texas Girl Has Surgery After Swallowing Metal Toy Part
A young girl aged 10 in Houston was taken “to the emergency room after the girl swallowed part of her fidget spinner. (She) had put a metal piece of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it, and it went down her throat. (She was taken) to the Texas Childrens Hospital, where an X-ray revealed the part—called a bushing—was stuck in her esophagus. The girl had to have surgery to “endoscopically locate and remove the object,” which was about the size of a quarter…
Grandmother warns popular toy could be a choking hazard | WSB-TV
She had just bought her 3 year old grandson the Fidget Spinner, and he and his mother were riding with her in the car. “He was playing with it going down the road,” then the child’s mother noticed the spinner had come apart and the child had the parts in his hand, including a small battery that lights up.
How they did it: https://www.ibm.com/blogs/research/2017/03/meet-ibm-nanoscientists/