The requirements to sell electrical equipment in Queensland changed on 1 March 2013 with the introduction of a new Electrical Equipment Safety System EESS and changes to the Electrical Safety Regulation 2002… It will lead to harmonised legislation throughout Australia and enable the public to search a national database of responsible suppliers and electrical equipment registrations for the first time. The database will allow electrical equipment to be easily traced to the supplier and its legal supply in Australia and New Zealand to be verified.The EESS changes the requirements for businesses that import, manufacture or sell in-scope electrical equipment. All in-scope electrical equipment sold in Queensland must be linked to a registered responsible supplier prior to sale. If it is Level 2 or Level 3 equipment it must also registered on the national database.Technical safety requirements have not changed under the EESS, but tighter evidence of conformity is required for some items.
The UCLA researchers have developed a groundbreaking technique that uses a DVD burner to fabricate microscale graphene-based supercapacitors – devices that can charge and discharge a hundred to a thousand times faster than standard batteries. These microsupercapacitors, made from a one-atom-thick layer of graphitic carbon, can be easily manufactured and readily integrated into small devices such as next-generation pacemakers.
A new technology in the magnetic cooling of chips based on the straining of materials is claimed will lessen the impact on the environment compared to current technologies.
“These new tools include what we believe to be a world’s first for rating the environmental performance of the IT equipment within a data centre,” Robyn says.
NSW Police Force (via Facebook)
Police believe a spider may have been the cause of an explosion at a home in Kirribilli today.
Emergency services were called to the home in McDougall Street shortly after 1pm (Saturday 2 February 2013), after an explosion blew out the bathroom and kitchen windows and destroyed a washing machine.
A 66-year-old woman told police and fire fighters she’d seen a spider on her washing machine and sprayed it with an insecticide, however, it ran under the machine.
She sprayed more insecticide under the washing machine and fire investigators believe the engine ignited the spray, triggering the explosion. The washing machine was destroyed.
The homeowner was treated by NSW Ambulance Paramedics at the scene after sustaining singed hair and blurred vision.
There was no sign of the spider.